Sunday, March 8, 2020

Anyone Can Make It

For any general audience member who happens to find this blog, did you know that at the time I'm writing this blog post, I'm getting my Master's online?  But of course, you're probably wondering, "Sam, why the Hell are you telling me this?  I'm not here for your life story, I'm here to learn about technology and journalism!"  My response to that is (1), you don't have to be so rude about this, I haven't done anything to you, and (2), I'm bringing this up because the fact that I'm able to attend college to this degree at all shows how far technology has come.



Heck, the fact that you're even reading this post at all shows how far we've come.  And it's not just limited to reading posts either; technology can allow for new kinds of work training.  According to the article "Prisoner use of information and communications technology", a number of programs have been introduced into prison systems that each have roots in new technologies, such as educational programs that "have been found to reduce the likelihood of reoffending and thus improve an offender’s chances of reintegrating into society" (Kerr, Willis, 2018), the institution of virtual campuses, such as what I mentioned above (see, I know what I'm doing sometimes), and the advent of these technologies has "also enabled correctional departments to improve and broaden the employment programs available in correctional facilities" (Kerr, Willis, 2018).

Image

To sum it up, the use of technology can not only connect us in new ways, but it can also open new opportunities for people, and allow them to do things and work in areas that they would never have been able to do.

References

Kerr, A., & Willis, M. (2018). Prisoner use of information and communications technology. Trends & issues in crime and criminal justice, (560), 1-19.

Image Sources:

[Career School Now]. Retrieved from https://careerschoolnow.org/careers/online-college

Bank, W. (2014). Inmates at Quencoro Penitentiary make textiles. [Photo]. Retrieved from https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2014/03/12/peru-trabajar-desde-la-prision-una-salida-para-miles-de-reclusos-en-latinoamerica

No comments:

Post a Comment